Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Field Trip: Scavenger Hunt Down Under


Aqua Duck - Gold Coast
Hey, campers! Glad you’re here for the second part our Adventure Down Under Field. One thing I love about traveling is how it can make the ordinary seem new again when viewed in a different environment or context. It’s the same thing I appreciate about my favorite authors. They can make the mundane feel special, the big appear small and keep the spectacular hidden in plain sight. They are experts at the art of illusion and blindsiding.


On today’s field trip, we’re going on an Australian scavenger hunt for little seeds of storytelling inspiration that you might like to plant in your organic idea garden. You'll be harvesting fresh plot twists before you know it.  

Are you ready? Stay sharp and don’t forget to look in the corners. Ready…get set…go!


Perspectivus Zoomous Inus
When fully grown, this tree bears the "A-ha!" fruit which allows main characters to see things from a different angle.


An earless pig or is it a...


And how about this?
Is it a marshmallow with Kim Kardashian's eyelashes or is it....



Dinosaurus Restroomus 
The leaves of this plant must be steeped in boiling water to make tea. Readers must drink this tea from floral cups until they feel so calm that they...


...can hear the waves,
....feel the breeze in their hair,
...and feel the warmth of the sun on their skin.

And then, at the peak of bliss, at the point where they think that they cannot possibly feel more relaxed....

...send a dinosaur to get them in the ladies room.
*Burp* Who's next?

Evilus Koala-us 
Choose the cutest, cuddliest and sweetest characters. Let them chew a mouthful of this herb to turn them from this... 



....into this. 


Dreamus Sequencus 

Grind up the roots of this plant and slip into a main character's drink to induce a deep sleep. 



*Cue psychedelic dream sequence*





Then wake them up with an attack of mutant insects.



I hope you enjoyed our little scavenger hunt, campers! Don't forget to take care of your plants and water them everyday. 

37 comments:

Donea Lee said...

Evilus Koala-us? Ok, that's just creepy. :) Lol! But, isn't it always fun to make your MCs think everything's peachy-keen before you throw a dinosaur at them? Awesome.

Muriel said...

You have got to love Kim Kardashian eyelashes...enjoy your time out!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm drinking my tea as fast as I can, but I'm having trouble keeping it in that darned floral cup. Your blog does a wonderful job of capturing your sense of humor and imagination. Always a pleasure to visit.

Stephanie Faris said...

I can't have plants...I kill them. But I always think of that line from some Bill Murray movie. Was it Stripes? His girlfriend was leaving him and he shouted, "You can't leave. All the plants will die!"

Jennifer Hillier said...

Loved these pics! I'm a plant killer. I don't mean to kill them but everything green dies on me.

locke said...

I'd like to keep those bugs as pets.

DEZMOND said...

HE HE dino in the ladies room is hilarious :)
Kangaroos and koalas are adorable. Did you take a photo of my favourite wombats too? :)

Unknown said...

Pretty cute bugs you got there!!! Thanks for a great field trip. I always love to jump on the bus and go where you take me!

Julie Flanders said...

Oh my gosh what a fun post! I loved the evil Koala, and Kardashian eyelashes! Thanks for the laughs.
Cute little bugs, too! :)

Connie Keller said...

I loved the mono germ and the dinosaur! Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

Kate Evangelista said...

You didn't show the stuffed Kangaroo testicles that they sell. :-P

EQ said...

Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Unknown said...

As far as imagination is concerned,

...absolutely...

Priceless!!!

Kathy

Scrollwork said...

Those kangaroos have some wild dream sequences, I tell ya.

Deborah Lawrenson said...

That's what happens when you go on a trip with a highly-imaginative mum...!

Kelly Hashway said...

Wow, great pictures!

And there's the AquaDuck again! The other day my husband said it would be cool to have a car that you could drive into the water and it would float. I told him about the AquaDuck. He was heartbroken that someone had beaten him to the idea. But that is one awesome bus!

Unknown said...

I love the mutant insects! :-D

Elen said...

Sam, you're a poor excuse for a show-off!!!

I take that back if you can get me a Kissing Disease Microbe, though...

;)

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

That dinosaur kind of scares me...but not quite as much as the stuffed mono germ...

Tanya Reimer said...

Enjoyed the trip and the story line that went with each picture. Very creative!!! Always amusing. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos, and such fun with the scavenger hunt story-line. I especially enjoyed the dinosaur in the bathroom. Where to now? MMF

Brynne said...

Love you and what you choose to share, sIlly goose!:)

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I did enjoy your scavenger hunt. I really, really did!!! :D

Isabelle Gregson said...

Hilarious! Even if you do have a serious side (honestly, rent before chocolate! tutt tutt!). Koalas have incredibly soft fur but are rather unpleasant and quite degenerate and they tend to urinate on people! xxx

Anonymous said...

Sam, what a fun post! I loved the photo of the dinosaur in the restroom! OMG, what a riot! Thanks for sharing and making us smile!

Unknown said...

Absolutely love these pictures Samantha! The ocean looks so blue, the grass so green, amazing! Beautiful pictures with lots of memories. Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

Kenya D. Williamson said...

Speaking as someone who's had mono, let me tell you the virus looks a lot more like Khloe. ;D Thanks for another fun trip, Sam!

Elliot Grace said...

...lovin the pics. Inspiration personified, and a wonderful trip for the kids. Glad I hopped over:)

Good luck on your release! (I'm a fellow writer as well)

EL

Mia Dela Cruz-Soriano said...

Hey Sam! If you're in the market for more fat cells, just give me a ring. I have lots to spare! :D

angel011 said...

How about the plant from the Little Shop of Horrors? Not Aussie, I know. :)

Great pics!

Samantha Sotto said...

Donea - Absolutely! I never write without a dinosaur in my pocket :)

MuMuGB - Thanks! It was a fun trip :)

Susan - Thanks for stopping by!

Stephanie - Haha! I remember that line!

Jennifer - Same here! Hehe.

Locke - We can toss for them ;-)

Dezmond - They weren't in their enclosure when we went to the sanctuary :(

Kathy - I should give you frequent rider miles :D

Julie - Glad you had fun!

Connie - Happy you enjoyed the tour!

Kate - Haha! Yeah! I saw those.

EQ - G'Day :D

M Kathy - Aww...thanks!

Scrollwork - Must be something in the water... ;-)

Deborah - Hehe. I try :D

Kelly - You guys should definitely try it some time. Super fun!

Malen - Haha! Thanks!

Elaine - Now that's an idea for a book giveaway! :D

Katie - Freaky, right?? :D

Tanya - Glad you coud join the trip!

Meagan - Thanks! I'm flying out this Wednesday. Stay tuned!

Byrnne - Hahaha! Love ya' back!

Dwija - Thanks!!! :D

Isabelle - LOL!!! Which is why I passed on the kangaroo burgers...

gypsyroxylee - Crazy, right?? I almost dropped the camera when I whipped it out to take that pic!

Elizabeth - Thanks!! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Kenya - Bwahahahahahaha! You know you kill me, right? :D

Elliot - Thanks for hopping by!

Mia - Hahaha! Crazy!!!!

Angel011 - I remember that! LOL :)

Jennifer said...

What a fun post! That fat cell stuffed thing is hilarious! The Koala is creepy the insects are adorable and I am a known plant killer.

Tina L. Hook said...

Hey, I need all the inspiration I can get. Cute post.

Lazarus Lupin said...

I never trust cute animals like Koalas. They are obviously hiding their evil nature.

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

AiringMyLaundry said...

I want a little mono doll now.

Concora said...

we should take care of our environment to make friendly
Prime Digital Experience Platform

Deepak said...

This is really nice blog. Please keep up the good work. really looking forward to see some more nice articles like that.
thanks

Thailand Tour Packages
Thailand Trip Packages
Thailand vacation Packages